Wednesday, June 4, 2008

NGO Summer Camp

My introduction to Sudan has been strange but nice. I'm in Juba staying at a compound called Sunflower Inn. It's an interesting mix of people comprised of my colleagues and I as well as some other NGO workers, Indian business men, and a big group of people on some kind of retreat. I was surprised to see that small group breakout sessions with big pieces of carpenter paper and colored markers are also popular in Sudan. We have a big dining room, a little outdoor bar along the Nile River, and a badminton court. It's calm, secluded, and relaxing. This place really feels like an NGO summer camp. This will probably also be the nicest place I see in this country.

I haven't seen much of it, but Juba seems bustling and manic. The main roads are lined with stands, pedestrians, homes and NGO offices and the roads seem to be mostly full with their Land Crusers and motorcycles that fill the gaps between vehicles. Businesses are pouring in and selling to the government, the citizens, and probably mostly the thousands of NGO workers. The city is active and full of life and then mysteriously falls asleep as the 10:30 aid worker curfew approaches. It's worth thinking about if so many people coming here to do so many things does much good. I'll think about that a lot.

I really enjoy all the lizards and big bugs I have never seen before.

My colleagues are great and it's fun to learn everything I can quickly about Sudan, this organization I'm interning for, and development. After another day of orientations, reading reports, and watching the Nile, we will head farther north to near the north/south border which sits in the area that divides north and south Sudan. I'm excited to get to see more of the work this organization is doing here.

No comments: