Of course we’re sitting in the compound listening to this Shania Twain song on repeat. Of course.
Celine Dion, awesome!
Our arrival to this village near the north/south border was a bit intense. The planes buzz the landing strip to clear it of goats, cattle, and people. Then, once the plane parked, over a hundred people came and surrounded the plane. They watched us unload the plane, load the land crusers, and walk off. Just watched. I observed all I could out of the corners of my eyes so as not to stare and also to pretend like it wasn’t a really difficult sight. Our welcoming committee was generally emaciated and partially covered in very worn clothing. We arrived at the compound and talked about poisonous snakes and scorpions. Colleagues also shared stories of some recent violence in another village where this organization was working in another part of the country. They are at this camp now which is serving them as a bit of a refuge to fill time before they can go back and work. Their stories are sometimes difficult to take in. Kelly, the other intern, likes to make fun of my nine-year-old desire to go out and look for snakes.
I’m grateful that Celine Dion is reminding me for the fifth time that it is a “new day.”
4 comments:
Greetings Buck!
Great blog. We can feel it a bit with you. You're in our prayers.
Have some fun.
Love
Pops
WOW! What an amazing life experience. I hope that at least one of my kids has the opportunity to experience something like this. A trip like this is an eye opener it really shows you that not everything in life is pretty. Thank you for sharing the pictures and your adventures. Te cuidas y que Dios te Bendinga. Tu amiga, Marta
Wow! What an amazing life experience. I hope that at least one of my kids has the opportunity to experience something like this. A trip like this is an eye opener it really shows you that not everything in life is pretty. Thank you for sharing the pictures and your adventures. Te cuidas y que Dios te Bendinga. Tu amiga, Marta
First...I love the colors of the flowers you chose for curb appeal...they are FABULOUS!!!!
Second...Try some Tim McGraw, Garth Books, Brooks and Dunn, and maybe some Daddy Yankie here and there...throw on some Tigeres del Norte too para que no te olvides de nosotros as well.
Third...I love this blog thing...Great idea...keep writing and if you find any nice large snakes out there let ya sabes...I need a new pair of botas and a cinto to go along :0)
Be safe my friend!
Post a Comment